Re: how to check voluntary pumpout percentage

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SteveK on April 30, 2003 at 20:08:52:

In Reply to: Re: how to check voluntary pumpout percentage posted by Ack on April 30, 2003 at 08:28:31:

"Before you start blaming recreational boaters for California's water quality, I suggest you do a little research first.."

HA, but I have done my research.

"California Boating" State of California Dept. of Boating and Waterways 2001/2002 Edition page 22:

"Vessel Sewage (Human Waste)

Though it's against the law to dump untreated sewage into any navigable U.S. waters, some recreational boaters still discharge raw waste into coastal and inland waters. You might think one person discharging human waste doesn't cause a problem. But with one million boats registered in California, polution from vessel sewage can be a huge problem.

The Federal Clean Vessel Act of 1992 helps reduce pollution from sewage discharges from vessels. Under this act, it is against the law to discharge untreated waste anywhere within the three mile U.S. territorial limit. The U.S. Coast Guard can issue a citation up to $2,000 for the illegal discharge of waste. To avoid fines, use a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Marine Sanitation Device(MSD) or a holding tank while on the boat, and pump the contents out at a shoreside station.

The California Department of Boating and Waterways is using Clean Vessel Act Funds to build additional vessel sewage pumpout stations throughout the state. Check with your local marina and look for the national symbol to find the closest pumpout station."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]