my conversation with IMS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on May 22, 2003 at 23:17:53:

In Reply to: DO NOT RENEW YOUR DIVE INSURANCE UNTIL YOU READ THIS posted by Captain Tim Burke on May 22, 2003 at 19:51:51:

I called up IMS on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 to inquire about renewing my NAUI divemaster insurance for 2003-2004. Since NAUI’s insurance carrier has made it clear that they will not cover dive boats as being automatically additionally insured, despite what their policy says (see http://GreatEscapeCharters.com/nsp/ for details), I asked about specifically naming the dive boat as additionally insured on my policy. Both Evan Moore and Ashley told me that they will not cover dive boats as additionally insured and will not allow them to be named as additionally insured on my or any dive insurance application form.
     The purpose of being named additionally insured is to protect the dive boat operator from liability involving the actions of a divemaster or instructor, regardless of who is at fault.  St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company, NAUI and IMS’s carrier has made it clear that they will only cover the dive boat operator when being forced to, and will steadfastly refuse to cover the boat under any circumstance.  If I was a boat owner I would think twice before I would allow someone with NAUI insurance to conduct dive operations on my boat, since even if I do nothing wrong, I can be assured that the NAUI coverage will not support me.
     If you are in doubt about this please call up IMS at (800) 467-7282 or email them at divesecure@aol.com and ask them for yourself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]