"Best made plans of men and mice"

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on July 21, 2003 at 08:58:46:

In Reply to: How was Begg? nt. posted by stephen clark on July 20, 2003 at 09:40:03:

Before we left the dock, I was already asked about 50 times what the weather was like. I said the predictions say terrible, but we still going to try to get to “Begg Rock”. We left the dock at 23:15 and when we got to the break wall things did not look good. We had a nasty little swell that was really rocking the boat.
Clemente was virtually shut down by the Navy, and I thought SBI would be blown out, so where to go. I did not want to go to Catalina for the next two days. As I was thinking about all this we continued towards Begg Rock. This happens once in a great while, the further we went the calmer it got.
We pulled up to Begg at about 07:30. I anchored on a high spot that comes up to about 35’ and dropped the anchor over the side in about 70’. Swells were almost none existent. What could go wrong? We spoke too soon. There was an incredible current running. We put out a line from the anchor to the stern and the hardiest of the group ventured in. I was at the bow watching the bubbles and nobody was going very far from the anchor.
First diver up. Ripping currents all the way down, and only about 10’ vis. And because the vis and currents were so strong only a hand full of scallops came up. After everyone came up Allen and I discussed if we should stay or leave. We left up to the group and it was about 50-50. We did stay though, and the very few that made the next dive said the current had dropped and the vis had opened up to around 80’. Wow, what a difference an hour makes.
So once again, the good ole computer dive swells were wrong, who would of thunk it?
Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]