Re: End of an era - Magician sold, Ira retires

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Hoffmann on November 03, 2003 at 11:02:20:

In Reply to: End of an era - Magician sold, Ira retires posted by Ken Kurtis on November 02, 2003 at 19:22:42:

Ira’s last trip was a great day. Sunshine, blue sky’s, and clear blue ocean water. In fact I have not seen the water that blue this year.
Like many in our community I’m going to miss Ira. He is a good person, good friend, and a good soul.
I have always felt that Ira was one of the few people who had his professional priorities right. Ira always put the customer and crews comfort and safety first (we never went out on marginal days, even when I know he needed the charter). Ira always told you up front what he thought. And Ira believed in chamber day. His boat (with alot of help from John Corso and a little help from me) was always one of the top money makers. Ira didn’t do this to advertise his business or to inflate his ego, he did it because it was the right thing to do.
Over the 23 years(and 300+ boat trips) I have charter Ira’s two boats, we had many adventures.
Ira’s first boat was the See Vue. The See Vue was 50 (something)feet with a very narrow beam. It had been a hydro-foil that had carried passengers to back and forth to Catalina. Many of you may remember Bud Wolf. Bud had originally set-up the See Vue to be a dive boat in the mid 70’s.
Ira bought the See Vue in 1978. The See Vue had no galley, no bunks, and you sit on bus seats. All of the gear was put on the bow (which made the See Vue a little nose heavy). But the See Vue was cheap, and fast, and was fun. We had many great trips on the See Vue. Coming home Ira would always cook up (on his little alcohol stove) some of the best chowder and Tobasco pop corn (all free, by the way).
In 1988 Ira bought the Magician. This was a big step up. The Magician is 65 ft. by about 16. It has a galley and bunks. And is one of the nicest boats in our feet. We have had many great trips to Catalina, San Clemente, Santa Barbara on the Magician.
Ira and Judy are retiring in Arkansas (about as far from the ocean, as you can get). He has bought 20 acres with a log cabin and a barn (Deer and wild turkey come to visit every morning). Sounds pretty good to me (but I would like to retire a little closer to the ocean). All of our family here at Scuba-Toys will miss them. And we all wish him and Judy well in there new life.

Jim Hoffmann

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]