Preventive maintenance, Scheduled maintenance and Breakdown maintenance

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mojo Mike on November 25, 2003 at 00:47:31:

In Reply to: Re: Annual scuba regulator maintence-opinions requested. posted by Chris on November 24, 2003 at 21:26:26:

I personally swear by preventive maintenance, but still follow a routine maintenance schedule. Anything to prevent breakdown maintenance.

I really like the concept of routine checks on intermediate pressure. I can see a big benefit with this. I like to know a problem is developing, before it bites me.

The only real problem I have with only annual inspections. Is I think it could lead to a false sense of security. Using the same maintenance program for one dive annually, 10 dives, 100 dives or 1000 dives makes little sense to me. Still it is better than no maintenance at all.

Most of my gear is in immaculate condition. Except one Zeagle BC I recently bought off Ebay. The guy said he swore by annual inspections. Well may be, but he sure did not believe in preventive maintenance. I soaked the BC for 2 days in warm fresh water and rinsed the bladder about a dozen times. Before I got the build up salt off and out of the BC to my satifaction. I still won't dive with it. Till I have a technician go through the internals of the valves. One of the down falls of buying used gear.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]