Re: Annual scuba regulator maintence-opinions requested.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on November 24, 2003 at 21:26:26:

In Reply to: Annual scuba regulator maintence-opinions requested. posted by Mojo Mike on November 23, 2003 at 02:56:26:

I have had problems with incorrectly adjusted, or improperly serviced regulators. My dissatisfaction with “authorized” service led me to begin working on my own regulators. This is not hard, but requires special tools that are not always easily obtained. I have complete sets of tools for my Poseidon, Scubapro, and US Divers Regs. If you do work on your own regs it is best to use the manufacturers service kits, because o-rings vary in material and durometer ratings, and it is vital to use the proper ones.
I also share SLANG's concern that the most likely cause of a failure would be due to the servicing itself, and thus for the first stage especially I believe that disassembly should by kept to a minimum. However I also share Ken’s concern about improperly working equipment, and one should not dive with equipment that is not properly working.
Before EVERY dive trip I check all of my gear thoroughly and either fix problems or choose a back up. I try to devote at least 6 hours to checking gear, making adjustments, and packing. Before an overseas trip I begin my equipment checks at least a month in advance, so I have time to take care of problems.
For Regulators I check:

For BCs (yes, I even use one on rare occasions):