Re: Annual scuba regulator maintence-opinions requested.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tribes on November 25, 2003 at 09:08:27:

In Reply to: Annual scuba regulator maintence-opinions requested. posted by Mojo Mike on November 23, 2003 at 02:56:26:

Here are a couple of things to think about.
If you want to keep your warranty up you need follow the warranty instructions. If the warranty doesn’t matter. Here are some other things other to think about. Both types of 1st stages have HP seats that need to be changed because of wear and corrosion. This should be done in a timely manner. If you don’t, you will some day have a uncontrollable free-flow from the 2nd stage.
Diaphragm 1st stages will usually blow out a section of the HP seat when they go (this is caused by wear, and by getting water into an area that is supposes to stay dry). When they blow that is the end of the regulator until it is overhauled(this would be a bad thing on a resort trip). I think that this type of seat needs to be changed about every 50 dives. The piston 1st stage will have IM pressure creep also but is not as dramatic as the diaphragms.
All 2nd stages used a rubber or a plastic seats that wear out also. 2nd stage seats that are poorly maintained have big problems with corrosion.
If you want to overhaul your own regulator you need to take a factory class and use factory kits (I don’t know any shop that will sell you parts).
I think that many of the problems (near accidents and accidents) are caused by poorly maintained, poorly tuned, poorly designed, regulators that cause a CO2 build ups.
If you need a good tech you can send your gear to Aqua Lab in Garden Grove 1 714 897-2822(that’s where I send the regulators I don’t like to working on, they know what they are doing).

Tribes

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]