what are the benefits of the harvest?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on December 20, 2003 at 21:31:39:

In Reply to: Thank You posted by seahunt on December 20, 2003 at 19:33:15:

Seriously.

What are the benefits?

What are the benefits to those of us who actually own the resource???

According to the state constitution, the living resources of the state belong to ALL of the citizens equally. Why are a handfull of citizens allowed to take so much of this resource and convert it into personal income?

It would be like me going down to the local park and cutting down all the trees and selling them for firewood. You can still visit the park, but somehow it isn't the same.

i'm thinking... the personal wealth of those who exploit the resourcs, the middlemen, and the foreign markets aren't a sufficient return for the damage that is being done...

When the squid go away, those who like to eat squid will have to suffer just like those who used to like eat abalone. As far as i know there has never been a fataltiy associated with the lack of abalone or squid. The abalone fishermen moved on...

boeing came into so cal and layed off 40,000 people and i don't remember a single squid fishermen standing up for those displaced workers. I have to wonder just what is so special about the income of the squid fishermen compared to those boeing employees?

i would appreciate it if anyone would clearify that for me...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]