Re: Water Spouts, up close and personal.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JohnD on February 23, 2004 at 17:17:40:

In Reply to: Water Spouts, up close and personal. posted by Captain Tim on February 21, 2004 at 19:35:20:

A few years back, taking off from John Wayne, sitting in the window seat as usual: March weather, turbulent, strong on-shore flow. I looked out and saw we were approaching the edge of a large cell of cumulus and there was a waterspout below. We were circling left as we turned eastward. As we flew over, almost right over, I could look down through the shaft and see the surface of the water below. The appearance was spinning water, but of course it was just the rotating wind driving the spray, but it was magnificent. The shaft weaving upward.

I have crossed the Pacific five times, weathered typhoons, & spent time in the Sea of Japan in winter with lots of water spouts and snow falling on the water, but this was one of the most spectacular displays of nature I have ever seen.

I wonder, has anyone ever seen video of waterspouts from the air? I would very much like to acquire one and show it to my friends (as well as renew my memory).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]