Ya know...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Williams on April 20, 2004 at 22:07:42:

In Reply to: Re: Accident waiting to happen - responsibility? posted by Walt on April 20, 2004 at 09:50:53:

I stay out of most of this crap but this one I can't. I agree that watered down standards are not a good thing, and I think that IF enough people trained under these standards keep diving we will see an increase in accidents.

BUT I have to say, consumers are their own worst enemy's. By way of explanation; last summer we offered the most comprehensive training in San Diego, no other shop could even come close to what we offered.

Here's what we had...course cost $185.00 inclued 1 snorkel dive, 7 scuba dives two of which were boat dives (no extra charge) 10 hrs minimum pool dive time, 10 hrs minimum classroom time with a LIVE instructor, NITROX certification.

This is what we got...60 students for the summer 20% of which purchase full equipment packages.

So why were the numbers so low...because PADI and a few PADI stores offered 2 for 1 classes in some cases the classes were done in as little as 4 days. People thought there was a far greater value in a CHEAP at most 40 total hr class and they thought that they learned the SAME THING.

So this year starting this month I am offering 2 for 1 4 day classes at a fair price, still exceeding standards still doing IMHO a better job of training than most classes...BUT AT A LOSS to my shop.

Guess what??? In two weeks I've enrolled over half of our total number of students from last summer already.

Go figure....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]