Re: My reply to lemmings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 08, 2004 at 18:48:05:

In Reply to: My reply to lemmings posted by Freedom Fighter on May 24, 2004 at 13:23:54:

As much as I hate to admit it, Freedom Fighter has a point. Although I tend to agree with John R. in as much as there is a necessity to maintain DFG regulations so that our children will have cool things to see in our underwater world.

The 4th amendment states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmentiv

There are a few very important words to consider in this amedment. The right of the people to be secure in their PERSONS, houses, papers, and EFFECTS, against UNREASONABLE searches and seizures. Authorities must also have PROBABLE CAUSE to search anyone or anyones effects.

We as Americans have the right not to have our PERSONS or EFFECTS searched while we are walking along the street for no apparent reason. That was something Hitler and the :Jack Booted" Nazi S.S. were good about. The truely defining word here is UNREASONABLE. What is UNREASONABLE? For the police or F.B.I to burst into a home to search it because there is a "possibility someone might be doing something illegal" with no substantiation is absolutely unreasonable. For the DFG to search game bags in an area where divers have been known in the past to take smaller than legal game may not be so unreasonable. Is searching game bags considered unreasonable? That's up to the Supreme Court to decide. As for me, I have nothing to hide, so I don't mind the DFG checking me out.

Freedom Fighter, only the guilty make excuses.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]