How to get more money, and more important +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by riches on June 12, 2004 at 07:09:31:

In Reply to: Re: DFG warden shortage: License fees? posted by Sonke on June 11, 2004 at 22:10:28:

What is needed? More sportsmen.

Right up front I can say that the regulations are unintelligible as published, and require a GPS, a fathometer, and a knowledge of each of dozens of small city/county marine preserves in addition to the MPA's. They are also obsolete if and when published, requiring a live Internet connection as well. NOBODY I have talked with, including a DFG biologist and a Park service employee, could answer my questions correctly about size and take restrictions.

I suggest making the sport fishing regulations simpler, and leaving the complexities for the commercial fishermen. For example, when the total take of (NAME SPECIES HERE) approaches the allocated tonnage, close it to commercial fishermen and let the sport fishermen alone until the end of the season.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that fishing license sales (near the coast here) were down some 30% after the saltwater only licenses were abolished. If this is true, and even if total revenue was increased, it is an unmitigated disaster, especially in the long run.

Sportsmen are your customers, plain and simple.

Rich

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]