Re: What reason is there to have a DM on the boat?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on June 28, 2004 at 19:58:58:

In Reply to: What reason is there to have a DM on the boat? posted by Captain Tim Burke on June 28, 2004 at 18:10:17:

Hi Tim,

We all know that the DM is supposed to increase the safety of the divers aboard the boat. Whether they perform the job in a professional manner is a different debate.

That said, the best DM that I've ever been around is Steve Sanford who worked at SeaDSea and is now with Eric on the Peace. In my opinion, Steve added greatly to the value of the boat trips I took with him because went above and beyond to make sure that everyone was safe and, equally important to me, HAVING A GOOD TIME! The safety part is supposed to be easy. Follow a few protocols, be willing to jump in, and keep a close eye out and all should be well. Making sure that everyone is having fun is a completely different challenge and one that I'm not sure you can train a person to perform.

No one can argue that our SoCal boats are safe when you look at the numbers. Assuming that safety in SoCal dive boats is a commodity, then fun would be the differentiator. My money and my referrals are to the boats with safe and FUN crews. If your DMs can be safe and fun, then they're earning their keep.

Just an opinion...
Ross-O

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]