Re: Advice wanted for Maine-iacs first dive visit to Catalina Is.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ptf on August 05, 2004 at 07:48:21:

In Reply to: Advice wanted for Maine-iacs first dive visit to Catalina Is. posted by Maine-ly2Scuba on August 05, 2004 at 05:34:35:

>Questions: Will a 5mm suit be adequate for early Sept.?
It depends on what water temp you were exposed to back in Maine. Right now the surface to about 20 feet is around 63F but below that it can drop down to 52. That is what I experienced this past weekend. I did a dive for 60 minutes, but then again i have been diving for close to 10 years and I dive in a dry suit...
>Can you recommend a dive company? and why them?
Pacific Wilderness - In the dive busines for over 30 years Just string the name together and add on .com
Ken Kurtis and Co at Reef Seekers Dive Co. in Beverly Hills, CA
I am sure others will chime in. Are you looking for a "tour guide" aka Dive Master to accompany you? Both these folks have a good size cadre of Instructors and DMs
>If you had to choose 2 dive locations on the island, what would you recommend to us?
If you actually take a boat to step foot on the island then your locations are somehwhat limited to Cassino Point at at city of Avalon. Check out the Boat links on this web site for boats that go to Catalina. Rather than limiting yourself to the tourist boats that jet you to the one of 2 places that are not the private ownership of the Wrgly Conservatgory. The dive boats will go to numerous spots on the front side of catalina. Make sure you ask some proper questions b-4 you book. Some boats are "all Inclusive" they will include air fills (Normally 3.50 to 4.50 per fill)and food. Others will charge per airfill, and for the food you buy on their boat. Some boats allow coolers (i.e. food and beverage), others forbid it. Some have bunks, some are first come first served. Others will reserve you a bunk. Some dive trips will be shop run where most of the divers will be completeing their last 2-3 dives. others are open and the dive sites could be more challenging - due to depth, current or other conditions.

ptf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]