Sleeping in strange places

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mojo Mike on August 12, 2004 at 10:31:57:

In Reply to: Re: with no wight you'd be a sitting duck for boaters in fog posted by DiverD on August 11, 2004 at 20:02:13:

I don't do offshore diving,, but if I did. I would invest in one of those air horns. That connect to your regulator. So I might be tempted to keep my tank for at least awhile.

Decades ago I worked as a lifeguard for the National Park Service. On a surprise inspection our bosses decided. That we should prove, we could swim at least a mile and show just how far we could swim. When I reached 13 miles and quitting time. They stopped me and informed me. That they would not pay overtime for me to swim. That was the last surprise inspection and swim test we had.

In those days I could also sleep. While floating in the water. You really have to master your breathing to do this. Even in a warm swimming pool. You wake up with a real chill. A few years later I trained myself to sleep standing up during the Vietnam war. I once stood in the same place for 72 straight hours on a ship. Had to have those little cat naps. You really have to master your sense of balance. It is amazing how your body and mind can adapt.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]