Taking Abalone shells? Yellowtail dive report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry on August 23, 2004 at 13:23:17:

I was diving at Yellowtail Point on the frontside of Catalina yesterday and came across a beautiful ab shell. I wasn't sure if it is OK to take this sort of thing from this area, so I left it there.

What is the rule for that area?

For what it's worth, I've never dived at that location before and what a pleasant surprise! It's my new favorite Catalina spot. It looks so nondescript from the surface but the thick kelp on a sunny day is absolutely gorgeous. Also saw tons of a bizarre type of rock that I've never noticed before, which proved to provide great hiding spots for lots o' lobster. Also saw an Angel shark, bat rays, octopus, and by far the biggest bait ball I've ever seen. I just kicked back on my back and watched the ball for a good full 3 minutes, shimmering brilliantly as the sun reflected off the fish as they swirled magically around my bubbles. Visibility was awesome (>50ft?). My deepest depth was 35 ft and at that depth I could see the boat directly above clear as day. No surge either...I got as shallow as 12 ft and never had any trouble with bouyancy popping me up to the surface. Great day! (I just wish I had that Ab shell as a memento)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]