A few questions

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on October 05, 2004 at 09:45:35:

In Reply to: Need scuba instructor referral posted by No Worries on October 04, 2004 at 21:23:34:

No Worries:

A few questions come to mind: What is the motivation for your fiance getting certified?

Is she(he?) in good physical condition? Can she swim 200 yards without getting winded? Can she effortlessly tread water for 10 minutes without breaking a sweat?

Has she been bitten by the diving bug and shares your enthusiasm for the sport?

Or does she want to get certified because you go diving all the time and she wants to spend more time with you?

Are you planning a honeymoon at a warm water resort destination and you want her to get certified so she can go diving with you (better make sure you can get her certified before you buy into that trip).

The reason I'm asking these questions is because over the years as an instructor, I've seen a lot of WRONG reasons for taking a scuba class.

Just last week, I started a class and guy (in really good shape & is a surfer), put on the gear, put his head underwater and promptly stood up. He was unable to breathe underwater. He tried several times, but just could not do it. I really feel sorry for him, I hope he can overcome the mental block that is keeping him from breathing underwater. But obviously the next step for him is one on one instruction - group lessons are out. And to add insult to injury, his girlfriend is an avid diver and they already bought tickets to a dive vacation.

So, based on the answers to the above questions, I may or may not recommend group lessons, or I may recommend private lessons. And even then, there are no guarantees that your fiance is going to become an avid diver. Even if she/he successfully completes the course, how you two work out as a buddy team will play a big role in whether or not your fiance becomes an avid diver. I've seen relationships break up because of buddy team incompatibilities, so remember to keep the training wheels on for the first few dives you and your fiance do together. And be ready to be patient and supportive, most (but not all) new divers need a lot of TLC or they loose interest in the sport.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]