What are the biggest waves you have seen off the Californian coast?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kylecawaza on October 12, 2004 at 18:11:07:

In 1999/2000 the summer storm cam from Hawaii and sent giant waves to California, if anyone remembers it. Anyway, that day I was on the cover of the newspaper because we were at that Point Bonita lighthouse when the waves were crashing over it. It was amazing. I can't believe they let us go onto the light house when we were getting drenched in the spray.... it was really dangerous. Anway, that must of been the coolest thing I have ever seen. The waves were crashing into the base of the Golden gate bbridge and actually make a spray that was noticeable on the golden gate bridge. The waves spray was easily 50 feet or more high. ANd then you could watch the giant waves roll into the bay, I wish I had it on camera because it would be a great thing to look at again... I haven't seen anything on TV cooler than that.

Anyway, what are the biggest waves you have seen? Have you ever swam in them? I always have this small fantasy of goign swimming when there are giant waves, but way out to see before the waves break so you don't have all those currents to look out after. I did something similar in Costa RIca nad it was really fun.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]