Re: Copyrighted Photographs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on November 01, 2004 at 05:36:25:

In Reply to: Copyrighted Photographs posted by Mojo Mike on November 01, 2004 at 01:14:12:

Official registered copyright is obtained via application to the US Copyright Office. Information and instructions are at the following website:

http://www.copyright.gov/

You can put as many small photo files on a CD as you want to and register the entire CD as one item for $30 plus postage. Going the official route is the best way to protect copyright. Should anyone use a registered copyrighted photograph without permission this is the most recognized protection for the photographer to obtain monetary damages.

Unregistered photographs are still the copyright of the photographer, you just don't have the weight of the official copyright documentation behind you. A published, watermarked, photograph on the Internet is evidence of ownership.

There is no distinction between digital and film photography. An image portrayed via pixels is no different than an image portrayed via a negative or a slide. Images portrayed on the web are not public domain any more than a portrait hung in an art gallery is.

Yes, watermarks can be removed.

I have, and do, officially copyright many of my photos. I periodically receive written requests for usage of my photographs and if these requests include the specific usage that is intended will usually send written permission for the specified usage of the specified photograph only.

I have never had to enforce copyright. I do have one friend who has, and court fees to enforce ownership were recoverable - in this instance the official copyright had been obtained and the process of proving ownership was very straightforward.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]