Perfect conditions at Marineland today

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 25, 2004 at 12:43:49:

Lake Pacific was calling to me this morning. There were no waves to speak of, so I decided to enter from the rocks on the south side of the property. Just because there were no waves doesn't mean you can't slip on a wet rock. I dropped a Jetfin, but due to the excellent water clarity I was able to see it under the surface. I kicked out on the surface to the deeper reefs at 70+ feet. Visibility here was close to 40 feet. I found a Lingcod tangled up in a piece of netting, so I whipped out my trusty shears and freed him. He swam a few feet away and settled in the sand, so I was able to get one picture of him. While putting my shears away I realized that I had forgotten to put my camera lanyard back on my wrist. After a slow ascent and surface recovery I continued toward the cove. There were juveniles of all sorts darting around, including Garibaldi, Sheephead, Blacksmith and Senoritas. While looking around at the reef instead of looking forward I came upon a Batray in the sand. I stopped so I wouldn't disturb him, but it was too late. I got off one shot before he swam away.
When the conditions are this good, Marineland rivals any site on the fromt side of Catalina.
Bottom time: 86 minutes
Visibility: 30-40 feet
Temp: 60F, very nice for Marineland.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: