I love this stuff...

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scary Barry (Time Zone Nazi) on November 26, 2004 at 10:09:54:

In Reply to: "have dived/dove" versus "have dove"... posted by s.s. on November 25, 2004 at 23:38:23:

Hey s.s., no worries...I get bugged by this stuff all the time.

I have been asking the question of the correct usage of dove vs. dived since I began diving, and no one has been able to give me a definitive answer, so i for one am glad that you have cleared it up for me.

Reminds me of a funny story...I was on another bbs and a bunch of us were trying to coordinate a meeting time. There were people involved from other states, so we needed to make it clear which time zone we were talking about when arriving at a time. The person in charge kept on referring to the time in "PST" even though it was summer. I kindly, gently, and subtly reminded this person that during Daylight Savings Time, the Pacific time zone is referred to as "PDT", not "PST", and that the distinction might actually be relevant to the people from the states that do not recognize Daylight Savings.

Well, this person's response was to brand me a "Time Zone Nazi" and told me to f*ck off. He said "this is the way I was taught, so even if I'm wrong this is the way I'm going to do it." (hmmm...sounds like Bush)

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're displaying totally moronic behavior without realizing it, wouldn't you want to be clued in? Like, say, if you were walking down the street with your fly open? I for one would like to be told that my fly was open rather than walk around all day having the color of my underwear be the topic of conversation. But that's just me. Discuss amongst yourselves. :-)

Sorry for the off-topic tangent...I'll get back to work now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]