Very interesting +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on December 07, 2004 at 17:46:00:

In Reply to: Re: Patenting diving inventions posted by Chuck Tribolet on December 07, 2004 at 07:42:40:

I should have figured as much with attorneys, fees, and red tape. Some how I guess I was hoping that the process would be as simple as say getting a ficticious business name where you pay your $30.00, fill out some paperwork and have a nice day.

The piece of gear I have developed is not something that is a breakthrough concept, but more of a unique design that I think people would like and use.

Take Apollo split fins for example, it is just another fin. There have been hundreds of fins on the market for years, but along comes the split fin technology and it is revered as a breakthrough.
The inventor (Natures Wing) had his design patented and sells the rights for other companies to manufacture split fins, but if you look at any of those fins, somewhere it will have Natures Wing stamped on them.

Look at OMS backplates. There are many plates out there but OMS has a patent on their exact design, shape, size, weight, number of holes, etc.
I'm sure that Halcyon and the rest have similar stories.

I might just be farting in the wind here but I don't want to get ripped off one more time. I've lost out a few times before and it ain't gonna happen again!

One thing though, how do I protect my product while I am testing it in the water with people around? What about having other people try it to get feedback on performance. How can I make sure they keep their mouths shut short of a gag order. Is there some kind of temporary protection that can be obtained while development is being done?

Going out and solo diving on crappy day just so people don't see it doesn't sound like fun to me.

Thank you

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]