Re: Very interesting +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard_in_Newport on December 07, 2004 at 18:58:21:

In Reply to: Very interesting + posted by Eric S on December 07, 2004 at 17:46:00:

For temporary protection you can file what is known as a "provisional" patent application. This can be as short as a 1-page letter. You then have 1 year from the time of its filing to file a full-disclosure patent application. You are protected during that time, but lose protection if you fail to file at the end of the year.

If you are serious about your work I STRONGLY advise consulting a patent attorney-- there are many pitfalls in seeking patent protection, all of which involve your patent being successfully challenged (i.e., ripped off). That is to say, this is something you shouldn't try to do on your own.

An initial consultation with a patent attorney shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars, and would be money well spent if ;you believe there might be a substantial market for your idea/product.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]