Re: Question about Giant Black Sea Bass

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on December 20, 2004 at 16:02:50:

In Reply to: Question about Giant Black Sea Bass posted by divingyogini on December 20, 2004 at 10:32:38:

I don't believe it to be that unusual, since we have been seeing BSB on at least 50% of our dives over the last three months. Granted in the Summer months of this past year, they were seen on nearly every dive, still, in the first few decades of my diving career, there were only two occasions when I was privileged enough to swim with these dirigibles of the deep. Also, those two early encounters (1969 & 1974) were with sizable critters; both were in the 5-feet long, 300+ pounds category. Breeders, I'm sure who contributed to the current comeback of their species.

The thing I remember best (they were very close) was the size of their eyes - not quite as big as baseballs, maybe racquetball sized. And the look in them (as I perceived it - I know - anthropomorphic, but hey...) was benevolent curiosity. Each allowed themselves to be stroked. Petting something that big u/w was really a rush. Until the gray whale at Point Zero, the best local u/w encounter I'd had.

But then there was the waitress from the Sea-Inn - that was underwater too, but it was a pool.
Probably shouldn't go there ;-#

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]