Re: Sunday Dive Condition Forecast

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on January 26, 2005 at 11:24:16:

In Reply to: Sunday Dive Condition Forecast posted by Andy on January 26, 2005 at 09:47:57:

I look at both the swell height and the timing - a large 5 - 7 foot swell at 14 seconds isn't bad, but at 8 seconds would make you wish you were standing under a tree. The following URL is a good place to check current conditions and then compare it to the NWS forecast. I also look at wind speed - under 15 knots is good sailing; over 15 is OK up to about 20, then you need to reef in your sails.

I've also found that you never know until you actually get to sea (TV weather is for pure entertainment; NWS and the swell models are OK) If its rough at the Ventura harbor entrance, you'll have a rough ride across the channel, but the island may be fine. The Peace and Spectre are generally good at finding a calm site and they'll call the day if its too rough.

I've been on the Spectre in large seas (12 - 18 feet) and since its 85 feet and Ted is the best seafaring captain around, we were fine, though it was a little scarry to only see a Coast Guard cutter in the channel!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]