Mel got himself a tuna

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on February 01, 2005 at 21:53:16:

Hi Guys.....Just got back from my trip to Mexico tuna hunting at El Banco. We got hammered by the weather on the first day. Skip still managed to shoot an average one, around 100 lbs. I had many sightings but was not able to get a shot off at one. A couple of them must have been near 200 lbs! They were difficult to approach. I did manage to shoot and miss at a 40 lb wahoo. The water was so clear and the fish so big that it was hard to judge the distances. The next day we saw very few fish. A dozen commercial fishing boats had pulled in and were working the area. They had busted up the fish pretty good. I did manage to shoot and miss at a 200 lb blue marlin! That was very exciting! At first I thought it was a tuna. As I dove down on it I thought it was a shark, long and slender . Then I saw the bill and I knew it was a marlin. The next day the fishing boats were gone and the tuna were back. They were easier to approach from above than from the side. Finally I dropped down on one as a school came below me. I shot and landed my first tuna, a baby one by El Banco standards at 46.5 lbs. It was a blast and all I can say is " I'll be back".........Mel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]