Re: We may lose Marineland access soon.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on February 07, 2005 at 20:56:31:

In Reply to: We may lose Marineland access soon. posted by Max Bottomtime on February 07, 2005 at 20:21:05:

A couple of years ago, when the plans for the development were announced, I did some research for the Sand Eaters on the future of the public access at the site.

I don't have the info to hand, but I remember that the RPV city planner I spoke to assured me that the plan includes public parking spaces (not sure how many, or whether they'll charge for parking) and a path down to the beach that will be open during daylight hours (longer than it is now). I believe that continued public access to the beach is mandated by the Coastal Commission.

I found some verbage on the RPV city website concerning conditions of the development with regard to public access. For more details, see http://www.palosverdes.com/rpv/planning/index.cfm#major

"Prior to the issuance of any Certificate of Occupancy or the operation of the golf practice facility, whichever occurs first, the applicant shall complete the construction of the following public access trails, public parks and other public amenities within the project site, except for the Lookout Bar, which shall be constructed within six (6) months after the issuance of the first Certificate of Occupancy for the resort hotel:

Implementation of the Public Amenities Plan (such as benches, drinking fountains, viewing telescopes, bicycle racks, fences, signs, irrigation, and landscaping)

Public trails and trail signs to the satisfaction of the City (The Marineland Trail Segment (C5), Long Point Trail Segment (D4), Flowerfield Trail Segment (E2), and Café Trail Segment (J2) improvements).

Bicycle paths along southern lane of Palos Verdes Drive South adjacent to the project site.

The coastal public parking area within the resort hotel project area serving the coastal access points.

The expansion of the Fishing Access Parking Lot.

Improvements to the existing Fishing Access Parking lot.

Improvements to the Public Restroom facility at the Fishing Access site.

Public section of the Lower Pool Facility (consisting of outdoor tables and seating, men and women restroom and changing facilities, planter boxes with trees that provide shaded seating areas, access to the pool kitchen facility, outdoor showers and drinking water fountains).

The 2.2 acre Bluff-Top park.

Habitat Enhancement area.

The City encourages incorporation of a marine theme into the project’s public trails and park area.

The applicant shall upgrade the Los Angeles County Fishing access parking lot, fencing, signs, and landscaping to be consistent with the proposed 50 space parking lot expansion on the project site. Said improvements shall be reviewed and approved by the County of Los Angeles or the subsequent landowner of the Fishing Access, and shall be constructed prior to issuance of any Certificate of Occupancy for the resort hotel."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]