diver.net

Re: my hubby needs it when working with students

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Ross-O on July 07, 2005 at 18:15:07:

In Reply to: my hubby needs it when working with students posted by Robin on July 07, 2005 at 16:03:27:

Hi Robin,

It's dangerous and considered really poor form to carry a lot of weight in one's hands and compensate with the lift of a BC. I'm not saying that most of us haven't done it but it's important to point out that it's not safe and that there are better ways. If a person is trying this and loses their grip on the weight belt, they're headed for the surface with a very unsafe ascent rate. Even if they regain control it'll take 15-20ft, maybe more if they're really pumped up that insanely oversized 85lb bladder!

I admire the chivalry of your weight-belt-chasin hubby. That's a cool thing to do for a fellow diver. Make sure he sticks around a little longer by purchasing him a lift bag and spool or at least making sure he understands the risk associated with his weight belt chasing.

PS - I'm writing this from experience. I grabbed a dropped belt early on in my diving. I held it and inflated my BC until neutral. A DM swam up to me and motioned for me to hand him the belt, which I did without thinking. Stupid move. I managed to recover in about 20ft but I lost a fin in the process and was hauling ass towards the surface for a while. I looked and felt retarded. I carry a lift bag now.

Ross-O

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.