diver.net

I gave him permission to "use" it.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 16, 2005 at 11:21:14:

In Reply to: You should pay her or remove the image! posted by Sean on August 16, 2005 at 11:10:40:

I did give Manny permission to use it on his web site and to promote his charters. I did not tranfer any ownership of it to him.

I posted this faux pas here to bring light to the issue that is important to all photographers. We like and deserve credit for what we do. There is little to no money in underwater photography and so we often settle for the rewards of "self esteem" and knowing that we are contirbuting to marine life awareness instead.

When you consider the true cost of making an underwater photograph, it is enormous. Far more than whatever that guy paid to get his first legal lobster. There are virtually no underwater photographers who can feed themselves on making underwater photographs - all of the well known ones write books and articles, teach, set up stock photography businesses (and it has to be own and operate a stock network - individual sales are profit poor) or they do something else entirely to support their passion. "Credit" is usually the small reward that most of us work for. When proper credit is not issued - I have found it is disrespectful to say the least.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to