diver.net

More nitrox/air dual use: The PSI standards

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on August 26, 2005 at 11:42:40:

As I said at the outset of this disucssion, there are varying opinions on whether or not it's okay to do dual use on EAN cylinders. And since some have talking about taking a PSI course so you can avoid the pesky dive shops (like ours) that won't mix-and-match, I thought maybe you'd like to see what PSI has to say about all of this.

I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of some of you who have advocated dual use and have also invoked PSI's name. Maybe I'm blinded by my own position, but it seems to me that their standards and dual-use advocacy are mutally exclusive. The link to their page is below, but here are some of the salient (IMHO) points:
-----------------------
1-B. . . . it is PSI, Inc., policy that all EANx cylinders must be cleaned for oxygen service.

2-A. Normal compressed air shall not be introduced into any cylinder marked for EANx service.

2-A-1) Any EANx cylinder receiving normal compressed air shall either have its EANx marking removed or be set aside for a formal inspection and oxygen cleaning prior to filling with EANx.

B-9) Cylinder shall be conspicuously marked as to its intended service and contents
---------------------
I interpret this as (1) requiring all EANx tanks to be cleaned for O2 service, (2) you can't dual use them, (3)you must have nitrox markings on the tanks when that's their intended use.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full