diver.net

Re: Re: Re: All divers and fishermen have to help on this one!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dive and Fish on September 15, 2005 at 21:45:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: All divers and fishermen have to help on this one! posted by Captain Tim Burke on September 15, 2005 at 20:14:12:

While I can understand dive boats wanting to protect their "new" attraction, I don’t necessarily agree with this the statement, “The piont being, there is no reason to fish here. There are no fish except the BSB, perhaps, because they eat all the other fish?” If that was the case we better do something to control the BSB population before they wipe out all the other fish ;-)

There are legitimate fish to target at Italian Gardens, Yellowtail and WSB being the few that we’ve picked up, and I have seen some sizable Halibut.

I can imagine the calls to the DFG right now:

Caller – “You better get over to IG, people are fishing for BSB.”
DFG – “ Did you see them land a BSB?”
Caller – “No, but they are fishing at IG, and BSB are the only fish in the water over here.”
DFG – “OK, we’ll send our one warden for the so-cal coast right over” <-one warden is an exaggeration, but not far from it.

Chris’ idea is a little bit better, but I don’t know how anyone could determine the lb test on someone’s line from another boat. Definitely take pictures if you see someone land a BSB, even if they through it back. There is no reason to bring a fish like that aboard once you see what it is.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to