diver.net

My part as a spearfisher

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nate D on September 18, 2005 at 18:08:44:

In Reply to: My Part posted by Elaine on September 17, 2005 at 18:33:53:

I have siad this before and will say it again... I have always liked this board much.. I have spoken with Chris and like him as a person.. lately the bashing of sperafisherman is pretty harsh...

My part...
Unlike 90% of the so called "photo only" eco friendly people on this board, I do not take a boat to my dive sites.. I couldn't think of anything worse for the enviroment then burning 1000 gallons of fuel so I could "see the fishes".. I walk to all my dive sites.. Lug my gear down the hill and walk home... harm to the ocean=0... energy used to fill tanks=0 I do SCUBA I have 17 certs.. but not often.. I can do just as much free...

I have a 400 gallon coral aquaculture farm in my house.. I grow over 600 different corals.. Some that are now EXTREAMLY rare in the wild due to limestone mines and explosive fishing.. I don't make a profit on these.. And have shipped over 2000 frags back to the south pacific for replanting.. I also breed and raise giant clams.. about 50 a year..

I am a oceanography major and have a rather good understanding of human impact on OUR oceans... I have worked with projects to help breed WSB for wild release.. I know that it is not spearfisherman rather the overharvest of squid in our area that really depleats the stocks...

And yes I DO spearfish and hunt lobster.. All free dive.. All from shore... No fuel, No tank fills..

I would say that I have LESS impact and do more for the ocean then MOST of the 'eco friendly" divers around the area... yet still I get harped on...

Have a great day.. Keep those 1 gallon per mile dive boats happy!! I mean your only takeing pictures.. That dosn't do any harm...

Nate D

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.