Aichi man dies after dining on deadly 'fugu' puffer fish

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on September 20, 2005 at 01:11:33:

In Reply to: Mola mola are edible...sort of. + posted by jlyle on September 19, 2005 at 08:25:30:

HAZU, Aichi -- A 51-year-old man died of poisoning after dining on a poisonous puffer fish, Aichi prefectural health officials said.

Officials from the prefectural government's environmental health division said the man, a resident of Hazu, died after eating a puffer fish that he had prepared by himself at his home. He is reportedly the second person this year to die from puffer-fish poisoning, and the first in Aichi Prefecture in eight years.

The man prepared the puffer fish on Saturday after receiving it from a friend, according to a local public health center. Between about 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Sunday, the man ate sashimi from the liver of the fish. At about 11:30 p.m. that evening, he started showing signs of poisoning, and he died in the predawn hours of Monday.

The man had prepared puffer fish in the past, and his family did not stop him from eating it, officials said. (Mainichi)

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: