diver.net

I disagree

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on September 22, 2005 at 19:51:45:

In Reply to: An example of how our laws are failing us posted by Elaine on September 22, 2005 at 18:54:11:

I think DFG is doing a better job now than they have ever done in our lifetime. The MLPAs are a good start as well as new limits on commercial fishing.
The establishment of the MLPAs is something you should be happy about.
My beef is with judges and DAs that don't take the F&G laws we have now seriously. We don't need new laws, we need tougher enforcement of the laws we have now by prosecutors and the judiciary.
That has to do with education and lobbying of the judges and DAs. I did not put up a campaign to write the judge and DA in the Adhami case because of an email in which I was assured that they understood the seriousness of the violation. Believing that was obviously a mistake that I will not make again. The letter writing campaign in the case of the commercial abalone poachers up north resulted in them getting 2 years in prison, plus a lifetime ban from fishing. If the penalties for poaching were consistently enforced, they might have some teeth.
Unfortunately this is not the only case in which poaching is brushed aside as unimportant by our court system.
The fact is, unless DAs and judges will enforce the laws after the arrests are made the system is a sham.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to