diver.net

Re: day dive....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nate D on October 26, 2005 at 10:20:59:

In Reply to: day dive.... posted by Kio on October 25, 2005 at 10:34:53:

Hello again Kio!
Sorry to hear that you may not dive anymore this season.. There are still many bugs left that are just waiting to take a butter bath..

I can stay in the water much longer if I am free diving vs SCUBA. If I do lug a tank down the hill I only take one.. So that limits my bottom time to just over an hour.. Where as when I am free, I can stay in the water for maybe 3-4 hours.. (or however long it takes me to get the bugs I need for that night) I usually only hunt the first few months of the season, before the big storms.. This way the bugs are still shallow and I don't have to dive more than 25'.

How I got to where I am? Well I am 24 and have been bug hunting about 4 years.. I have been free diving and spearfishing the PV coast from about age 12.. In this time I have watched many lobster and how they move from day to day.. Over this time I have just "got a feel" for where they are going to be.. I think my "breakthrough" more has to do with knowing just about every rock and crack at the sites I dive.. This allows me to dive even in near zero vis.. And never fear going ballz-out into a hole after a bug..

About the only tips I can share..
-If your not finding the bugs.. MOVE.. go shallow-go deep, find different bottom- rocks/eel grass? Temp. The warmer the better..
-Be wiling to loose that arm and all those little pretty fingers in that hole...

The only thing I need now is a lobster diver friendly wetsuit.. I was thinking of a kevlar sleeve that was about elbow legnth.. But It would catch on everything.. So I guess I will leave it to the MFG.s to come up with one...

Nate D

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.