diver.net

Thanx,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kio on October 26, 2005 at 13:26:44:

In Reply to: Re: day dive.... posted by Nate D on October 26, 2005 at 10:20:59:

Nate-D for various comments.

When I come back from the trip in mid Nov. and if the water is still warm, I may try one more round of dive so that I 'know' better what this sport is all about.

Your response triggered me to remember one incident:

During one of my day dives in Malibu, I found this relatively big lobster under a rock. He saw me when I noticed him but he did not move much. So, I tried to strategize, but only way I knew was to put my hand from the side(back) to chase the bug toward me.

Well, it did not work. Noticing me in front and my left hand from the side, he went deeper into the crack where I could not reach. I inserted my sea knife to see if I could push him out, but the opening under the rock was deep and eventually I lost him. Checking the rock more carefully, I then noticed that there was an escape path leading to the back of this rock, which was about three feet in diameter.

In a case like this, how would you approach? Or, would you give up, knowing that there is an escape path? (although it is plausible that you might put some rocks into the crack so that next time you can do better.)

Here is another question:

If you take the bugs from certain area, would you still go back and dive in the same area over and over? Although it should depend on the location, the place like Malaga may have more potential for replenishment than others (as in Malibu). Perhaps, you have developed a routine to go around several spots at certain frequency....

(Come to think about it, certain spot seems to be quite suitable for free dive....)

Thanks,
Kio

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to