diver.net

Re: Freediving question

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ncd on November 26, 2005 at 19:38:07:

In Reply to: Freediving question posted by Elaine on November 25, 2005 at 21:06:40:

Freediving and fish photography are inconsistent with each other, since to get fish to come out of hiding you normally need to wait motionlessly underwater for awhile for the fish to forget that you are there. You can do this on open circuit scuba, for fish, although it does not work too well for dolphins as well, the latter being apparently frightened by the noise of an open circuit scuba system and who apparently hear bubbles and piston spring clicks acutely.

Freediving is primarily a sport in and of itself, and it has practical applications for the sport of spearfishing as well as ab diving. But it is inconsistent with the photography of sea animals, unfortunately. You don’t have time while freediving to just sit around and wait for the fish to come back out of hiding after your sudden descent and entry into their world, the reef.

REBREATHERS on the other hand are perfect for fish or dophin photography. I am surprised that none of the local well known SCR and CCR divers on this board pointed that out to you. I guess they must have had a brain freeze when you mentioned freediving, especially the ones who are not freedivers themselves, but who answered your query anyway (duh!)

I would not be surprised by an ardent photographer like yourself Elaine ultimately becomes involved in SCR or CCR scuba diving. Then you would have the best of all worlds, virtually unlimited breathing mix, and no bubbles or noise.

As one other astute respondent pointed out, you should consider leaving your camera behind, if you want to develop freediving skills. Ab iron or spear, ok. Camera, no.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to