diver.net

Re: Re: Catalina Island and Marine Reserves

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Bill on December 07, 2005 at 10:07:12:

In Reply to: Re: Catalina Island and Marine Reserves posted by Elaine on December 06, 2005 at 22:57:21:

Thanks for yours, Elaine. I think I mentioned that back in 1913 much of Catalina was a marine reserve (although it did allow some sport fishing). Eventually that was overturned due to pressure from commercial fishing interests as I understand it.

It is sad to see the party boats that come over regularly and fish our waters. Knowing that there may nearly 100 anglers on some boats when they are full, and that each can take several kelp bass, sheephead or other species... possibly from a single site... is devastating.

Without wisely situated reserves that can restock these over-fished sites (and believe me, many of them here and on the northern islands ARE over-fished), we will continue to be in trouble. Anyone diving the Dive Park or Lover's Cove (during the annual CCD clean-up) can see what population densities are possible with protection. And that's why some fishing boats choose to fish adjacent to these reserves (but others are more considerate).

To anyone who questions the status of our over-fished island areas, read some of Charles Frederick Holer's (co-founder of the Tuna Club and an advocate of the early 1913 marine reserve) or Zane Gray's accounts of fishing here around the turn of the previous century. Ministers used to let their church services out early so they could grab their own rods and reels to catch the leaping tuna and the yellowtail, barracuda and other fish present in huge numbers.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to