diver.net

Don't forget Los Islotes! +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by richorn on December 29, 2005 at 09:55:58:

In Reply to: La Paz question posted by Walt on December 28, 2005 at 21:11:18:

Although you are going pretty early in the season, the Sea Lion encounters at Los Islotes can be some of the most amazing in the world.

Since you will be land based, El Bajo will probably the furthest "out" you get, but that is not a deal breaker by any means. I a, also a Don Jose addict, but dove this year with a group of friends out of Club Cantemar. Possibly my best trip ever, we did multiple dives at Los islotes, Suwannee reef, and the wreck Salvatierra. Sure, we hit other sites, but these were the real kick ass dives! El Bajo was a bit blown out when we were there, so between the heavy current and mediocre vis, it was not in the same class as the rest of the dives. That said, I agree it CAN be one of the best dives ever if conditions are good.

As for the exposure suit, traveling near the end of the season, I always wear a 3mil, and at times have needed to add a 5/7 Henderson hooded vest. I think water temp should be way up in June/July, and you should be fine with just a 3mil. Other s I know have done a skin only and been fine. I guess it just depends on how cold YOU get.

Regardless, you will love it down there. Everyone always does!

If you are interested, I have a lot of shots from that area on my website, www.negative-altitude.com

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to