diver.net

Re: Grizzly Man

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 09, 2006 at 08:04:31:

In Reply to: Grizzly Man posted by Bobby on March 08, 2006 at 19:12:24:

I was on the North Slope of Alaska doing a bowhead survey when I walked into the general store. The place was abuzz with the story in that day's paper about this guy who once sang to grizzlies only to be consumed by one. The reaction of the locals was "what was he thinking..." when they got to the article that said he was from Malibu and was on some New Age quest, the response was "that explains it."

I will be blunt. Timothy Treadwell was an idiot. The movie stopped short, it did not play the audio recording that was made of the bear killing Treadwell and his girl friend. Believe me, his last thoughts were not of the welfare of the bear. By not telling the complete story, the movie, no matter how well done, will inspire other idiots. Luckily, the grizzlies are very good at culling idiots from the herd. This is Alaska, it is not some Farside cartoon. As one Native told me "...if you are not careful, Alaska will kill you, it may be fast or it may be slow, but it will kill you." Alaska chose to kill Treadwell slowly and in the end it was unmercifully slow. Trouble is when he went he took someone else and a couple of bears with him (they had to be destroyed by NPS rangers investigating the incident as they were threatening the team.)

That said, c'mon up. Alaska is a wonderful place. I live near downtown Anchorage and have large moose running through my yard. After 30 years on the South Coast of California I had to leave. I traded a tropical paradise for a boreal one. And the diving up here is actually pretty good.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to