diver.net

Re: Re: Uh Oh....A study to ban bug hunters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg M on May 26, 2006 at 23:13:27:

In Reply to: Re: Uh Oh....A study to ban bug hunters posted by Dr. Bill Bushing on May 26, 2006 at 18:40:39:

My post was not too emotional. I just said lets see the data on this, it could spell trouble. your the judgmental one Doc. heres the emotional stuff now.

Rational...bug hunters devastate kelp forests? Get real, lobsters are for the most part scavengers. the absence of lobster wipes out entire kelp forests? Santa Barbara is practically bugged out and it's forests thrive, ditto with parts of San Nic. It's so dark at nic its like night diving in the day time...and if you bug there you know, its practically devoid of bugs in any quantity.

Sure, let's see the premises the study was based on, but a lot of science is rigged. I am not saying this study was, or there is not greenhouse global warming (there is and its apparent to anyone who has visted a glacier).

I am just saying this seems a little bit far fetched. who recorded the lobster haul in that exact forest for the last twenty years?

Who kept the ocean temps in that forest for twenty years?

Who kept a count of the lobster population density versus kelp density, currents, etc. for the last twenty years?

have you read Secret life of lobsters, the story about how skewed science almost put lobster men into BK for all the wrong reasons?

One study does not make for the "truth" This guy who wrote it could be a Peta member, or he could be right on.

I am saying to my fellow bugmen...this could and will be the start of trouble whether its correct or not, and prepare to battle for our sport before someone takes it away.

Maybe your biased against bug hunters. Maybe your not, but don't jump my shit for flashing a warning about a threat to a sport I love dearly. And my friend, have you seen the underlying data for the study? if not back off a bit before you try to take my head off.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to