diver.net

I like my D200 so far.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Clinton Bauder on June 05, 2006 at 10:31:05:

In Reply to: Nikon D200 - is this love? posted by Mojo Mike on June 04, 2006 at 09:25:53:

I recently bought a D200 for undwerwater use. So far I love it. I notice noise a little bit at ISO 200 with long shutter speeds (vis was really horrible this weekend in Monterey) but even so it was hardly a problem.

I have a Subal housing which is quite nice. The shutter speed and aperture controls are really smooth and easy to use. The Sea and Sea looks nice too though. I'm still sorting out strobes. Started with INONs but they are negatively buoyant (which combined with the arms was a real pain) and the controls are hard to use with gloves. Looking at YS350s now. They're huge but positive and I found them easier to deal with UW.

I'm shooting with the 16mm F2.8 fisheye and have a 105 on order. The new 105 is hard to find and Subal doesn't have a port for it yet (said to be working hard on it). Macro was the big motivation for me (being a slug geek) so I hope to have that in the water soon.

Here are my results from the first time in the water. Subsequent results haven't been as good but then the vis hasn't been the best either.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/album45

BTW there is lots of good info on SLRs undwater over in the forums at wetpixel.com.

Clinton

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.