diver.net

Re: Boat Crew Tipping

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by divinotter on July 28, 2006 at 14:58:00:

In Reply to: Boat Crew Tipping posted by Walt on July 28, 2006 at 12:56:50:

I was on a boat this week where I asked and getting off the boat was told the tip averaged 37 cents a diver! 37 cents !! The food was great, the deck hand sweated his fanny off the whole time - everyone on the crew busted their rear end to do the tank fills super fast, and the divematser checked my air and grabbed my fins at every gate without me needing him to or asking him to - I mean - what more do people want!! 37 cents is a disgrace and just to stop the rationalizing there was not one newbie or dive class on the boat - these were all people who have been out plenty of times- maybe a $5.00 surcharge with the understanding that this is only a portion of a reasonable tip would be good- but the times I've had crummy enough service not to want to tip is far far out weighed by the number of times I've seen the boat staff get stiffed at the tip jar - and I know people get to know who the tippers are - even though it's anonymous- I've had crew members thank me personally for a big tip when I didn't know they even knew I left one-

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to