diver.net

Re: Need help of a nikonos close up outfit ?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 30, 2006 at 19:12:09:

In Reply to: Need help of a nikonos close up outfit ? posted by Hank on August 30, 2006 at 17:20:16:

Either the 28 or 35 works good, your choice. I tend to like the 35 with the close up kit.

Set the lens at infinity and about a quarter of the way past f16 toward f22. I use Velvia with a shutter speed of 60, sometimes 125. The lens settings above work well with both the 28 and the 35mm lenses.

I am not familiar with the strength of your ikelite strobe. TTL will usually work quite well. What you need to do is to determine the optimal strobe to subject distance. To do this, pick a distance close to the framer and with the strobe on TTL take a picture (you do not need film in the camera to do this) - at the close distance the TTL indicator on the strobe should definitely indicate a TTL flash. Move the strobe back and fire it again at the hole in the framer. You should again see a TTL indication. Figure out how far back you need to position the strobe until you get a full flash indicator. When you get the full flash indicator - that is too far back. Pick the a distance just short of where you consistantly get back into the range of a TTL flash instead of the full power flashes, and that will be a "good" strobe placement. (ie: you don't want it two close and you don't want it too far).

If you have the not very adjustable kit arm you won't have a lot of choice - check it and make sure that you get a consistant TTL flash. Try it while shooting at something white, something medium dark, and something dark. You should get TTL on all three.

Hope that helped. Is that what you needed to know or was it something different. I could give you better distance estimates in inches, but I don't have my book handy right at this minute.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to