diver.net

Re: Accident today ?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 18, 2006 at 18:16:05:

In Reply to: Accident today ? posted by Sven Grenander on September 17, 2006 at 21:01:57:

I have spoken to 2 people that were on the boat and involved in the rescue/recovery, and the facts as I know them are he was an approx. 40 year old male diver, diving solo while using an Inspiration Rebreather. This was the 3rd dive of the day and approximately 30 minutes into his dive the diver surfaced and signaled for help. The DM ( Chris ) began to swim out to help and got about 2/3rd's of the way to the diver, he surfaced about 700' - 800' from the boat. By the time the DM reached the diver he had sunk below the surface. An instructor subsequently found his body in 50'. The computer showed 70' for 30' and the 02 sensor apparently was reading 3.0.

CG was notified and the Navy also responded with emergency responders. At 1:56 he was pronounced dead, and his body was delivered to Avalon coroners at 5:00.

Based on what has been reported it seems likely he had an oxygen toxicity seizure. It is also worth noting that, in my view, had he been with a buddy at the surface, it is very possible that the buddy could have prevented him from submerging. Bear in mind, an OxTox seizure in-and-of-itself doesn't mean a death sentance. The seizure isn't what will kill you, but if the seizure happens underwater it's likely a death sentance from the drowning. Given that he made it to the surface, and then subsequently descended never to surface alive again, is worth looking at how, if at all, a buddy could have facilitated a rescue.

Sadly, this divers 20 year old son was on the boat and watched the rescue/recovery efforts, the CPR efforts and unfortunately had to be on the boat as the body lay on the stern from San Clemente to Avalon.

I'm told the crew of the Great Escape, the DM's from Sport Chalet and the Navy & CG did a great job, but was just too late. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and those that tried to help rescue him.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to