diver.net

Reflections on Sunday's tragedy

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charise Cole on September 22, 2006 at 17:34:45:

To all who read,
My husband and I were aboard the Great Escape on Sunday and witnessed the tragic death of Harry. There were a few thoughts that stood out to me after this incident. First, I was impressed to see perfect strangers work together to try and save Harry's life. There were definiite moments of fear, frustration, anger (all of which were appropriate emotions given the circumstance), and yet despite all of those emotions people worked tirelessly to revive him. I am proud to call you all fellow divers and would gladly dive with any of you.
The second thought that came to me was to make a vow to never go under the water without a buddy. I make this vow not only to save my own life, but also to save my family the horrible experience of grieving over my death.
The last thought is more or less a question. The question is how to bring a lifeless body aboard a boat with a tall ladder. I am rescue diver certiified and was trained on how to do this, but this Sunday brought to light the reality that it takes a great deal of muscle and skill to carry this through. I would love to see some type of pully device created that could attach to a human cradle that would allow a small wimpy woman such as myself to bring aboard the Jolly Green Giant should he be diving and have an accident. I know that this would bring more cost to our beloved dive boats, but it would also give a few more precious moments for CPR, etc.
Please pardon my ramblings. I am still processing all that we saw Sunday, and the "What ifs" won't stop replaying in my head.

Charise Cole

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.