diver.net

Biting a mouthpiece causes a headache?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kio on October 15, 2006 at 12:32:44:

Perhaps due to the fact that I dove almost everyday after the opening of the bug season, I encountered a problem that I could not figure out where it came from. There is no cure in sight at this moment.

The symptom is a teeth(gum)ache, plus a headache that I thought is originated from the ear infection. However, I did not go to the doctor up to now mainly because I could not quite tell the real cause of the pain.

I feel the pain only in my right side, the same side I had a ear infection last year. However, this time, I diligently dropped into my ear the 50-50 combination of vinegar+alcohol after each dive and that my lymph grand is not swallen.

This time, the pain started small and gradually became big over 4-5 day period to the point that I stopped diving three days ago. Interesting thing is that I have a pain usually right after the meal, or eating some sweet stuff. So, the pain is not continuous but more sporadic, tied to my eating - or jaw movement.

So, I thought this time the pain is not related to the ear...but perhaps related to my biting the mouthpiece too hard. However, there is no obvious change in the level of the pain even though I took Advil every now and then.

The bottom line is that I may have to go to the doctor, but if there is any advice I can get, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Kio

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to