diver.net

Re: Re: Re: LA dive shops not filling tanks made of 6531 Aluminum alloy. Questions

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BLT on January 23, 2007 at 16:25:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: LA dive shops not filling tanks made of 6531 Aluminum alloy. Questions posted by TomC on January 19, 2007 at 21:06:12:

I was under the impression that ANYONE who was filling tanks was ALREADY supposed to have training, since scuba tanks are considered hazardous materials?

With regards to the article: (http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/411928_web.pdf) it states that in the US, there were 13 known incidents of tank failure due to SLC from a pool of an estimated 3.7 million tanks in just the US, which I assume includes SCBA and oxygen service cylinders. If I do my math right, that means that for one tank out of roughly 285 thousand (284615.4 to be a bit more precise) has exploded. So, based on that math, you think the odds of your "bad alloy" cylinder exploding is 1 in 285,000 but then you can figure in the fact that is the TOTAL number of cylinders that have exploded since they started making them. In that dmses.dot.gov article it states that they stopped making cylinders with that alloy in 1990 which is 17 years ago, so if I have my math right, the odds of my "dangerous" cylinder exploding THIS YEAR is 1 in (284615.4 X 17) or about 1 chance in 4.84 million. It is probably more likely that I would win the powerball lottery than lose a cylinder

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to