diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: California Beach Dive Photographic Competition Winners

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on May 28, 2007 at 17:41:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: California Beach Dive Photographic Competition Winners posted by Max Bottomtime on May 28, 2007 at 16:14:31:

The vis at the Municipal Wharf was a whopping 5 feet in the morning and went down to inches once a dozen or so divers from the competition entered the water. I never felt like I was diving, just kneeling underwater taking photos of some really cool, really tiny critters......

Now, having said that, I LOVED IT. This was my first year in the competition and I can't wait to do it again. Chuck put out the word I was looking for a dive buddy, and within hours I was hooked up with someone from San Jose who had done the competition last year. I believe there were 50 divers in the competition - I was one of 13 who shot film (so I have hope they'll keep a film catagory for a least another year or two).

Everyone was friendly, helpful, and surprisingly non-competitive considering the value of the prizes (there were a number of prizes worth several thousand dollars, and even those of us who received honorable mentions received prizes worth hundreds).

I would recommend this competition to anyone who dives regularly and shoots UW in So Cal. The diving and critters are different enough to keep things interesting, and it's a great way to meet and learn from other photographers you may have only known from the web.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to