diver.net

Now this is confusing

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O on September 13, 2007 at 09:13:39:

In Reply to: Lights shown by boats for night diving? posted by Frank O on September 11, 2007 at 11:03:09:

I thought I'd go to the source, so I called the Coast Guard's Long Beach office. The person I spoke with said:

-- "Restricted maneuverability" does apply to vessels at anchor as well as vessels that are technically underway but are restricted in their maneuverability due to diving or other operations. So, yes, I should show the red-white-red lights (in addition to a white all-around light) when anchored for diving at night. And also show the alpha flag during the day.

-- When I mentioned the alpha flag, he said, "Yes, that in addition to your diver-down flag." "Well, that's a state rather than federal thing, and even with the state it's not mandatory, right?" I asked. He replied that, no, the requirement for the red-and-white diver down flag is a federal thing, "and you can get fined if you have divers in the water if you aren't showing it."

This doesn't sound right to me. I'm inclined to keep asking this question of sources in other parts of the Coast Guard.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to